Synology® Showcases Full-featured NAS Server, the DiskStation, and its System Software DiskStation Manager 2.3 at DSE 2010
Taipei, Taiwan—May 12, 2010—At DSE 2010 opening today, Synology® displayed new DiskStations that are part of the 2010 series lineup and demonstrated the latest system software, DiskStation Manager 2.3 (DSM 2.3). The new DiskStations, shown at DSE, feature high-performance, scalability and optimal price/performance ratio for business workgroup and small and medium businesses. The Synology DSM 2.3 builds on the already award-winning design of DiskStation Manger 2.2 (DSM 2.2) but delivers even more features and integration such as simple volume management with Synology Hybrid RAID (SHR), shared folder encryption and a new surveillance iPhone® app – DS cam.
The new 10-series DiskStations range from 1-bay, 2-bay, 4-bay, and 5-bay modes, featuring enhanced engineering excellence in their designs and upgraded platforms, and comprehensively offer Wake on LAN/WAN and Schedules Power On/off for energy and cost savings. Selected DiskStation models are equipped with hardware encryption engine that offloads the encryption calculation task away from the main CPU, helping to improve file transfer speeds of the DiskStation. All models will be shipped with the award-winning operating system, the Synology DiskStation Manager 2.3.
Synology DSM 2.3
Synology DSM 2.3 brings to it's full roundup of features even more ways to easily manage disk volumes with Synology Hybrid RAID (SHR) and enhance the overall DiskStation experience with EZ-Internet, upgraded data security with shared folder encryption, DS cam, a new surveillance iPhone app, cloud backup with Amazon S3®, and many more new features.
- New Volume Manager: The SHR simplifies the RAID setup by optimizing the disk capacities with data protection when different sized hard drives are used. RAID 10, 3-way RAID 1 and 4-way RAID 1 volume types are also newly added.
- EZ-Internet: The EZ-Internet wizard steps through all the settings of access to the DiskStation from the Internet, including firewall settings, PPPoE setup or DDNS registration, and even router port forwarding configuration is taken care of by the wizard.
- Shared Folder Encryption: AES 256-bit shared folder encryption is supported to ensure data security.
- Backup Enhancements: In addition to "shared folders," sub-folder backup is now supported. Amazon S3 is supported as a backup target.
- Surveillance Station 4: 152 more IP camera models from Sony®, Mobotix®, JVC®, IQeye®, Edimax® and other brands are newly added to the support list. H.264 video format support provides high quality video with small network bandwidth usage. Intelligent PTZ supports preset positions, patrol paths, and guard schedules on each camera. E-Map allows assigning an uploaded image to each live view layout, and deploying corresponding cameras or sub-maps to the image.
- iPhone Support: A new iPhone app, DS cam, is available on Apple® App Store for free. DS cam allows users who own an iPhone/iPod® touch to live view the IP cameras (in MJPEG format), take snapshots, and view recorded events on your Surveillance Station whenever network connection is available.
Affordable eSATA Scalability & Backup
The Synology DX510 and RX410 work with selected Synology DiskStations to offer scalability for easily doubling storage capacity. "The Synology DX510 and RX410 feature storage expansion on the fly via plug-n-use eSATA connectivity and 3.0 Gb/sec definition. The Synology DX510 helps users easily scale up their DiskStations up to 10 hard drives, and Synology RX410 up to 8 drives, at an affordable cost with minimal time spent on setup and management," said Edward Lin, marketing director of Synology. "They can also be used as an independent volume for backing up the data on DiskStations."
Currently available DiskStation models: DS110j, DS109, DS110+, DS210j, DS209, DS210+, DS409slim, DS410j, DS410, DS410+, DS710+, DS1010+, RS810+, and RS810RP+. DSM 2.3 comes with all newly shipped DiskStations and the free upgrade is also available at http://www.synology.com/support/download.php?lang=enu
Synology at a Glance
Synology is dedicated to taking full advantage of the latest technologies to bring businesses and home users reliable and affordable ways to centralize data storage, simplify data backup, share and sync files across different platforms, and access data on-the-go. Synology aims to deliver products with forward-thinking features and the best in class customer services.