Tiered Data Protection for Business Continuity
Traditional backup strategies present challenges like long recovery times or extraneous storage consumption. Your business needs a smart backup strategy to effectively protect against all threats and keep operations running smoothly.
Tiered data protection for deployment flexibility
Safeguard business data for any kind of IT infrastructure.
Maximize uptime with high-availability clusteringCombine two servers into a high-availability cluster, so data and applications remain accessible when local hardware malfunctions occur. Automatic fail-over allows work to continue smoothly – without the IT admin’s having to rush to the rescue immediately.
Quickly recover from accidents with snapshotsCapture point-in-time snapshots, so you can go back in time and roll back from disasters almost instantly. Thanks to self-service file restoration, employees can even recover accidentally deleted files themselves without bothering the IT admin.
Replicate the snapshots
Defend against natural disasters with off-site replicationReplicate snapshots to a remote Synology NAS so hot data is mirrored off-site. If the primary server in the main site is affected by a natural disaster, you can continue operations by quickly switching over to the secondary site.
Efficiently archive data with multi-version backupRetain historical archives by backing up data to a wide range of destinations, including external drives, remote Synology NAS, or even your preferred public cloud service. Advanced features like encryption or deduplication keep sensitive data private and reduce storage consumption.
Ready for your virtualized environment
Ensure business data and virtual machines in iSCSI LUNs remain safe and available in the event of disaster.
- Take snapshot as frequently as 15 minutes for iSCSI LUNs, instantly protecting the storage for virtualization.
- Application-based snapshots for virtual workloads running on VMware and Hyper-V ensure data consistency on virtual machines.
- The support of VMware Site Recovery Manager facilitates the recovery process by starting disaster recovery directly via VMware vCenter Server.
Extend the scope of data protection
Add additional layers of protection to your business data.
See how these organizations achieved more with Synology.
Synology Hyper Backup package provides a cost-effective backup solution which can drastically reduce required storage, while preserving as many recovery points as needed.
We made the right decision by choosing Synology RackStation RS4017XS+ for the teaching and research environment of Medical University of Vienna.
Thanks to the intuitive deployment process of Synology C2 Backup, we configured our backup copies and redefined our new backup policy in minutes.
Synology Hyper Backup package provides a cost-effective backup solution which can drastically reduce required storage, while preserving as many recovery points as needed.Learn more
We made the right decision by choosing Synology RackStation RS4017XS+ for the teaching and research environment of Medical University of Vienna.Learn more
Thanks to the intuitive deployment process of Synology C2 Backup, we configured our backup copies and redefined our new backup policy in minutes.Learn more
- Learn more about the pricing plan.
- Backs up folders, packages, and DSM configurations in deduplicated image format
- Retains up to 65,535 versions
- Supports cross-version deduplication, renamed and copied file deduplication, and data compression
- Version control:
- Regular or Smart Recycle rotation ready
- Version lock prevents a specific version from automatic rotation
- Supported destinations:
- Local shared folders and external storage devices
- Shared folders and external storage devices on a remote server
- Public cloud destinations including Amazon S3, S3-compatible storage, Microsoft Azure (Global and China), HiDrive, IBM SoftLayer, RackSpace, and other OpenStack Swift compatible servers and Synology C2 Backup
- Offers granular recovery
- Allows single file restoration
- Allows data recovery on Windows and Ubuntu using Hyper Backup Explorer
- Backup repositories are portable:
- Export the initial backup version to an external storage device and deliver the external storage device to the destination for data uploading
- Reuse a backup repository by relinking
- Enable client-side encryption to ensure data confidentiality at the backup destination
- Data and file name encryption with AES256-CBC
- Key ring encryption with RSA2048
- Supports transmission encryption
- Back up encrypted shared folders
- Customize your own retention policies
Hyper Backup Vault
- Avails itself to be the backup destination of other Synology NAS servers running Hyper Backup
- Offers an overview of storage consumption of the vault
- Launch Hyper Backup Explorer for browsing
- Offers backup log per task
High Availability Manager
- Form a high-availability cluster with two identical Synology NAS servers in order to maximize service uptime
- Automatic unexpected failover on CIFS/iSCSI/FTP/AFP/NFS service failure; power outage; storage space crash; data network disconnection
- Supports Quorum Server to effectively minimize the occurrence of split-brain
- VLAN support
- After creating a cluster with Synology High Availability, the max number of volumes and block-level iSCSI LUNs altogether will be limited to 64
- View recent system information, iSCSI Target connection history and file difference in each shared folder when a split-brain error occurs
- Comprehensive management interface and easy-to-follow troubleshooting
- High Availability does not support DHCP Server, MailPlus Server, Peta Space and Virtual Machine Manager
- Local snapshots of shared folders on Btrfs file system and advanced file LUNs
- Schedule snapshot and customize retention rules
- Remove or lock versions
- Browse and restore snapshots in the #snapshot folder in all file services or File Station
- View snapshot data in the Previous Versions tab in the Properties dialogue on Windows PC.
- Support up to 1,024 snapshots per shared folder*
- Support up to 256 snapshots per iSCSI LUN*
- Replicate data to another destination by taking and sending snapshots to local or another server. The maximum number of replication tasks is determined by different modules of Synology NAS. For more information, please go to Synology's official website
- Schedule replication and customize retention rules
- Send the initial replication copy via the Internet or storage devices
- Replicate data to multiple destination servers from the same source server
- Statistics of transferred size and sync duration are recorded and displayed as a report
- Overview topology of data replication
- Supports port forwarding by customizing address and port of a replication task
- Encrypt replication transmission
- iSCSI LUN replication can be managed via Synology Snapshot Replication or VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager. (Installing Synology SRA on VMware Site Recovery Manager servers is required.)
- Pause/resume replication transmission to optimize bandwidth
- Restore to a previous version via various methods including common protocols, File Station, and Windows File Explorer.
- Perform a failover on shared folders or iSCSI LUNs and make the replicas on the destination server writable when the source server is not healthy
- Perform a re-protect action to sync data on the two servers again after performing a failover
- Perform a test failover to make a clone and run all necessary tests in the event of disaster
- Perform a force failover when the source server is healthy
- Recommended number of users: up to 1,800*
- Recommended number of emails processed per day: up to 4,773,000*
- Provides mail services with SMTP, IMAP, POP3 protocols
- SMTP authorization
- SSL secured connection
- SMTP relay with optional TLS secured connection
- Multiple additional domains
- Supports LDAP/AD account
- Daily quota to limit each user's outbound mail
- Create aliases for local users, groups, existing aliases and external mailboxes
- Customization of auto BCC rules, SMTP/SMTPS port number, and the maximum size of a single email
- Migrates emails from external mail servers:
- Microsoft Exchange
- Yahoo Mail
- General IMAP servers
- Spam filter: Rspamd filter engine and DNS-based blackhole list
- Spam engine supports Chinese segmenter to effectively detect Chinese spam mail
- Use antivirus engine ClamAV to detect virus in mail attachments
- Google SafeBrowsing database for detecting malicious URLs in the mail threads
- Leverage third-party databases to enhance detection for malware, phishing contents and spam
- Post-auditing and action policies for virus-infected mails
- Threat Monitor provides security-related information:
- General threat statistics in clear and interactive graphs
- Real-time status of anti-spam and antivirus engines
- DNSBL self-check result
- Threat sources displayed in a world map
- Statistics of blocked Inbound and outbound mail
- Sender validation mechanism with SPF/DKIM and DMARC
- Content Scan filters messages containing potentially dangerous content
- Attachment filter to block specific file types
- Message Content Protection (MCP) to prevent sensitive data leakage
- Mail black and white list
- High availability architecture maximizes service uptime
- High-speed full-text search for English, Chinese, Japanese, and Korean characters
- Personal auto-forwarding and auto-reply rules for each user
- Customize auto-reply message
- Records historical email activity chart (past 1 hour, 1 day, 7 days, and 30 days) with detailed information about the quantity of inbound/outbound emails
- Mail queue monitoring
- Activity log and security log
- Usage analysis to calculate email quantity of the selected users, and to monitor the mail traffic by account
- Archive logs periodically
- Transfer logs to the Secondary Server for backup, or syslog server for central management
- Daily report includes summaries of
- Hourly traffic
- Delivered/received messages
- Deferred/rejected messages
- SMTP delivery failure
- Quantity of senders and recipients
- MailPlus Server comes with 5 email accounts by default
- License page allows for license addition
- Licenses are all centralized in Primary Server
- Synology NAS memory: 1GB RAM
- Please note that the figures marked in asterisks are derived from the Synology lab by using high-performance client computers with optimized network settings, and could vary in different environments.